Saturday, February 6, 2010

Happy Birthday to Dr. Allan Meltzer

Today is the birthday of economist Allan Meltzer. Meltzer is a professor at Carnegie-Mellon University, and is one of the foremost scholars on the Federal Reserve System. His work, The History of the Federal Reserve is a must read for those who would understand the nation's central bank. The second volume is on my carousel at left (haven't read it yet), I am adding the first volume to my carousel. The first volume is one of most heavily bookmarked in my library, and I learned a great deal and understood a great deal more as a result of reading it.  I had a couple opportunities to hear Dr. Meltzer speak when I worked at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. I was impressed not only by his knowledge, but his ability to connect with the audience.

You can learn a little about Dr. Meltzer here, you can read one of his papers on the Great Inflation here, and you can listen to an interview with him about inflation courtesy of EconTalk, here.

I welcome any comments.

No comments: