Sunday, August 1, 2010

Belated Birthday Recognition

Yesterday, July 31, was the anniversary of the birth of economist Milton Friedman. He won the 1976 Nobel Prize for Economics for his work on monetary theory among other things. He was also the author of the book Free to Choose and the TV series by the same name.

When I first started teaching economics, it was among the first supplemental resources I used that seemed to engage the students and generate a lot of discussion. The students actually looked forward to their sessions with "Uncle Milton", as they referred to him. I got to know more about him (secondhand) when I worked at the Fed with an economist who had him as his graduate advisor at the University of Chicago.

If you want to know more about him, check here and here. Regardless, I thank you "Uncle Milton."

No comments: