Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Some Holiday Economics

The annual PNC Christmas Price Index was released yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with this "important" statistic, it tracks the cost of the gifts mentioned in the holiday song, The Twelve Days of Christmas. As such, it is an important inflation indicator - just kidding. And despite the recession (yes, it's official now so I'll start referring to it as a recession) that started last December, the cost is up. And while you may think you know what caused the index to rise, you may be surprised.

The site also includes an interactive graphic as well as suggested ways to tie the index into the classroom, including a webinar that was hosted by PNC Bank and The Stock Market Game. Math teachers can use the index to help students interpret graphs and charts. History teachers can use the index to discuss wages for skilled and unskilled workers.

I hope you and your students enjoy this annual offering. I will be post at least once more linking economics to the holiday season.

I look forward to your comments and I welcome suggestions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this when you post this.

Tim Schilling said...

Mike,

It's always fun.

Susan,

Welcome to MV=PQ. I hope you enjoy it.