Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year and "Happy Birthday"

First, let me wish a "Happy New Year" to all of you. I've had better years than 2009, and I'm hoping for one of those better years in 2010.

Given my interest in the history of economic thought, I also want to note the birthdays of two economists (HT to AEA Calendar): Moses Abramovitz, a pioneer in the field of economic growth; and Vernon L. Smith, who won the 2002 Nobel Prize in Economics, along with Daniel Kahneman, for his work in experimental economics and alternative market mechanisms.

Abramovitz's work focused on cycles and productivity. You can find two interviews with him here and here. I find his views interesting and, if you find yourself drawn economic cycles as I am, the interviews are worth your time.

Smith's work on experimental economics has connections to institutional economics, which explains my interest. He examines the effect of the institutions on the choices people make. You can find a very good one-hour interview with him here, and two others on EconTalk with Russ Roberts here.

I welcome your comments.

No comments: