Monday, July 5, 2010

Wal-Mart and Small Farmers

As long as I'm referencing NPR, let me talk about another story.  Last week, I put up a post on positive externalities attendant to a new Wal-Mart. Somehow, I missed this story from National Public Radio about Wal-Mart and its effect on local agriculture (HT to Carpe Diem).

My local Wal-Mart has been featuring produce grown in-state recently. And quite frankly, I don't expect it to be able to provide all kinds of local produce all year round - comparative advantage and specialization are operative concepts the last time I checked. But I am happy to see locally grown food at an affordable price in a convenient location.

That's what I call form, place and time utility. And when I can get all three at a good price, I will take advantage of it.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: