Sunday, October 31, 2010

Global Poverty

Finally, those of you with an interest in economic development should take a look at this article from Commentary magazine (HT to Arts & Letters Daily).

It summarized much of the current debate and, in some circles dismay, about fighting global poverty. It would be a good piece to summarize that last section about economic development in your macro class, or it might make an interesting discussion piece to use during one of those pre-holiday class days coming up.

As always, I welcome your thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a little confused by the article. It talked about how the economy of these poorer countries were getting back on their feet. Although it didn't go into to many specifics. I'm not to familiar with the subject and would've like this to have been explained a little further. I did learn alot though-more than I knew before! Also what other steps could these countries take to promote their economic growth?

Tim Schilling said...

Anonymous,

I can suggest a couple of books that you might find interesting. One is on my carousel on the home page. It is called Dead Aid and is by Dr. Dambisa Moyo. She is a very accomplished development economist who was born and grew up in Africa. I've heard her speak and she is very convincing.

I will be reviewing others in a couple weeks and I will add the books to my carousel at that time.

Thanks for commenting.